Cooperation in agriculture
On 23 October, 2006, Ukraine and the EU signed the Memorandum of Understanding for Establishing a Dialogue on Agriculture and Rural Development between the Ministry of Agrarian Policy and Food of Ukraine and the Directorate General for Agriculture and Rural Development of the European Commission. The Memorandum established the institutional and administrative framework of cooperation and the Dialogue on Agriculture and Rural Development between Ukraine and the European Union.
It outlines the key areas of bilateral cooperation in the field of agriculture and initiates the relevant format of consultations.
The timeline of the bilateral Dialogue on Agriculture and Rural Development
11 meetings of EU-Ukraine Dialogue on Agriculture and Rural Development were held. The 11th meeting took place on 23 June 2015 in Brussels.
The following issues were discussed during the meeting:
- the Ukrainian strategy of EU-Ukraine Association agreement implementation in the sphere of agriculture and legislative harmonization in accordance with the Agreement that will facilitate the access of Ukrainian goods to the EU market;
- the consequences of import embargo imposed by Russian Federation on European and Ukrainian goods during 2015;
- the EU and Ukrainian legislation on organic production (certification, problematic issues, control and conformity);
- the development of efficient land policy;
- the state and prospects of the grain market in Ukraine;
- the development of small and medium agricultural enterprises in Ukraine.
The 11th meeting of the Dialogue was held within the framework of The EU-Ukraine Agriculture Business Roundtable. It was an example of implementation of sectoral industrial dialogues concept suggested by Ukraine. These dialogues should support the operation of joint institutional bodies of the EU-Ukraine Association and promote the cooperation of EU and Ukrainian business circles under DCFTA. The representatives of 7 Ukrainian and 8 European agricultural business associations and 5 Ukrainian agricultural companies participated in the meeting.
It was dedicated to the discussion of the state and prospects of trade in agricultural products (in particular, grain crops, cattle, poultry, eggs, meat processing, dairy and organic products) between Ukraine and the EU under DCFTA. The participants presented the detailed information about the development of the above mentioned sectors in EU and Ukraine, market conditions, trends of the international trade and the cooperation opportunities for Ukrainian and European agricultural associations.
One of the main issues of cooperation between the EU and Ukraine in the sphere of agriculture is the export of animal products to the EU countries. Today, Ukraine has the right to export animal products, including the following categories: poultry, sea fish, seafood, honey, technical casein, collagen casings, down and feather, forage, by-products, soil improvers and fertilizers.
Ministry of Agrarian Policy and Food of Ukraine (http://www.minagro.gov.ua);