An event organised by Fondation EurActiv
With the support of Ukraine’s Future Foundation
Hosted by MEP Pawel Zalewski
15 October 2013 | 4pm – 5pm
European Parliament, room 3C50
On 28-29 November in Vilnius a landmark agreement integrating Ukraine with the European Union is expected to be signed. Assuming that all hurdles will be removed by then, what is expected to happen after Vilnius?
- Russia stated that it would “protect itself” in case Ukraine signs the Association Agreement with the EU. What are Russia’s plans? Does Moscow expect to reverse Kyiv’s decision following the Presidential election in Ukraine in 2015? What would be the consequences of a potential trade war for the Ukrainian economy? Are there contingency plans? What response and what help could the EU provide?
- Following the Association, what next? Is Ukraine “too big” to follow a path toward accession? Does Ukraine want to join the EU, or does it want an equal partner type relationship? Is there a need to create an architecture to bring the EU, Ukraine, Turkey, Russia, under one roof? Could such a format avoid mistrust and trade wars?
- The citizens of the EU and Ukraine will feel much closer if freedom of movement was promoted. What are the prospects for the EU removing the visa requirement for Ukrainian nationals? Are there immigration risks for the EU?
- What will change with the Deep and Comprehensive Free Trade Agreement (DCFTA) between Ukraine and the EU? Is it true that the agreement would be more advantageous for the EU, at least in an initial period? How long would it take for Ukraine to adjust and derive benefits?
- What can Ukraine offer to EU businesses and what can Ukraine businesses find for themselves in EU countries? What forms of cooperation could make contacts smoother and smarter? What role for the Commission, member states, chambers of commerce and business associations?
Fondation EurActiv is pleased to invite you to a round table debate to explore answers to these questions.
Invited contributors include:
- Pawel ZALEWSKI, MEP
- Dirk SCHUEBEL, Head of Division, Eastern Partnership – bilateral, EEAS
- Vsevolod Chentsov, Director of the European Union Department at the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Ukraine
- Mykhaylo KUKHAR, Key Expert, Ukraine’s Future Foundation
Georgi Gotev, Senior Editor, EurActiv.com
Ross Melzer, Public Affairs Director, EurActiv.com
14:30 – 16:00: Panel 1: Integration Of Ukraine With The
European Union – Challenges For Kiev
16.00 – 17.00: Panel 2: EU-Ukraine Relations: Beyond
To register, please send an email with your name, nationality, ID number, organisation and title to: [email protected]