BRUSSELS, 15-16 OCTOBER 2013
Polish-Ukrainian Journalists’ Club working at Polish Ukrainian Chamber of Commerce and the State Agency for Investment and National Projects of Ukraine are organizing an expert conference on Ukraine's integration with the European Union just before the decision of the Council of the European Union on signing an Association Agreement with Ukraine.
Aleksander Kwasniewski, President of Poland in 1995-2005 would be the key-speaker of the Conference opening.
Tuesday, October 15
14:30 – 16:00 PANEL 1 – Integration of Ukraine with the European Union - challenges and opportunities for the economy and investment.
European Parliament in Brussels, Paul-Henri Spaak building, P3C050
Integration with the European Union means not only the benefits of the single market and the free movement of goods, service, people and capital, but also a need for a series of deep reforms: beginning with the economic transformation, through the necessary changes in the judicial system. During this panel, invited experts will discuss the current state of reform and also the challenges Ukraine faces right now. We will present the benefits for the EU countries after the expected signing of the Association Agreement with Ukraine.
Moderator: Oleksandr Sushko, Research Director of the Institute for Euro-Atlantic Cooperation
- Kostyantyn Gryshchenko, Vice Prime Minister of Ukraine
- Vladyslav Kaskiv, President of the State Agency for Investment and National Projects of Ukraine
- Ryszard Florek, President of FAKRO Group
- Konrad Szymanski, Member of the European Parliament, ECR Vice-Co-ordinator in Industry, Research and Energy Committee
- Pawel Kowal, Member of the European Parliament, Chairman of the Delegation to the EU-Ukraine Parliamentary Cooperation Committee
Wednesday, October 16
09:30 - 10:30 PANEL 2 – POLISH ROAD TO THE EUROPEAN UNION – PACKET OF REFORMS
European Parliament, ASP building, 5G2
The second session will focus on issues connected with Polish road to the European Union starting from Leszek Balcerowicz’s reforms in 1989, to today's changes concerning judicial system, administration and agriculture. The participants will try to sum up almost
10-years period of Polish membership in the EU. On one hand - what kind of reforms should have been made, on the other – what Poland gained through a chosen path.
Moderator: Joanna Wajda, TVP
- Jan Truszczynski, Director General for Education, Training, Culture and Youth, European Commission, former chief negotiator during Polish EU accession negotiations
- Jarosław Pietras, Director General, Council of the European Union, former Secretary of the Committee for European Integration
- Jarosław Kalinowski, Member of the European Parliament, former Vice Prime Minister of Poland
- Wojciech Olejniczak, Member of the European Parliament, former Minister of Agriculture
- Pawel Zalewski, Member of the European Parliament, Co-chairman of the Polish-Ukrainian Partnership Forum.
During the 2nd day of the Conference, there will be workshops for the Ukrainian journalists as well as for media representatives from the Eastern Partnership countries, which will be conducted by Polish correspondents in Brussels. Correspondents will show how do the European Institutions work and how to find the most important policy-makers in the EU.